Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Year: ADD style

Upon perusal of my blogs' draft folder, I made a discovery, or, I should say, discoveries: SEVEN very abruptly unfinished blog posts (including one completely blank page)! At first, I was frustrated and annoyed and pecked at by familiar self doubts. "All right, all ready, I've probably drafted more posts than I've finished posts!" Why can I never finish what I start?" But on second thought I decided,"why not make lemonade when I have so many lemons?" "Why not make ONE GREAT BIG FAT blog entry out of the SIX STUPID SKINNY INCOMPLETE posts?"

I've introduced each post with a few snippets of context, but every word in italics is just the way I left it in my draft folder, excepting a few minor editorial changes. Here is 2009 in snatches:


I vacation with Aunt Shirley and my cousin, Drew at their condo in Myrtle Beach, SC:
Now that I'm at the beach, I figure I should post about it. I mean, what is more noteworthy than paradise? A few glimpses:I met a hermit crab in the resort parking lot, appearing small and lost. These bitty crustaceans should in the dictionary under the word "scuttle."
6/4/09


A redneck habit?
I have discovered a new pastime--sunflower seed chewing. On a whim the other day I bought a bag of seeds in the shell at Market Basket and brought them home to the family as a low-fat snack. My first tries eating the seeds where disappointing and unsatisfying.
7/8/09


My home for now:
Last week I spent helping a family in New Jersey. Overall, the time went good, but when I returned home, I discovered how I tired I was--the kind of tired one gets from being in an unfamiliar and slightly stressful situation for a longish period of time. Then I returned to Fairwood. As I kicked up dust with my bare feet on the gravel road to Ruth's house, I realized how much this place is a cherished part of my life: a quiet, constant companion.

In the summer I like Fairwood best without my shoes. Padding around the empty campus on the warm pavement is what I do when I don't want to think about anything in particular. The school year requires me to be a good example to the students by wearing my shoes so they will all think that I am a responsible adult, but when the last pencil is flung to the wind, I roam the school shamelessly young.

When David wrote: "He leadeth me beside still waters, He restoreth my soul," I can relate. The greenness around me
8/17/09


I think about writing about a day in my life for YLCF:
YLCF Blog Carnival

I've decided to join YLCF's "A day in my life" carnival:


12:30 AM No sleep.

1:00ish Sleep!

7:45ish Normally, I run or bike earlier than this. However, I slept in this morning and lost my chance. No time to do much except catch a chapter from Jeremiah (where I'm currently at in my very slow consecutive walk through the Bible), and choose an outfit from the floor.

I work and live at a tiny Bible School in New England.
10/27/09


Too much thought-time on my hands at the restaurant:
Today in the middle of the time-consuming monotonous task of rolling and cutting homemade pasta at the restaurant where I work, I found Israel. It was a long, fragile strip realistically shaped like the Israeli border. I continued feeding new portions of dough through the rollers and catching the resulting sheets, smooth and gritty with flour all at the same time, and reflected. Seeing the country where my parents and youngest brother are living and praying made me miss them. Especially my parents. I don't know, maybe it's
11/5/09


Don't feel too sorry for me:
This Saturday I am alone in an apartment that is normally full with four busy girls (my sisters that is). So here I sit, alone, on the couch, while the fridge roars nearby. Have you ever noticed how loud a quiet house is? I mean, even if the fridge isn't running, sometimes the sound of quietness seems more noticeable to me than any noise is. Hm... the fridge just stopped, and now the laptop is a mini Niagara Falls. The wall just creaked. Oh, maybe that was the register: it's tapping. Maybe I should turn some music on.
1/23/10

3 comments:

KJ said...

Hurray! I love it!! It was very interesting and a clever idea! Also, a great way to procrastinate a little more even though I really need to be in bed so as to be able to function during my science lesson on minerals and rocks, and my math lesson on long division tomorrow......

LOVE YOU!

lis said...

Very clever and entertaining. More! more! <3

Kelli Overturf said...

Sarah! I love your writing style! So fun and creative. Isn't it crazy how loud quietness is?